Cruz was later released after posting $1,500 cash bail and a $15,000 insurance bond. His license was suspended, and he was ordered to surrender his passport. Cruz’s lawyer insisted he is not guilty. “His motorcycle was struck, and he stood right there,” his attorney H. Benjamin Perez said. “He never assaulted this man. He never tried to assault him in any way. And he does not know any of the other motorcyclists who were involved in this beating.” A second biker, who was in custody, was released Wednesday, when authorities determined that he may have been trying to help. The NYPD released photos Sunday of two other men they want to find and question as part of the investigation and asked for the public’s help in identifying them. Mieses’ family, meanwhile, says he is the real victim. “All of his ribs are fractured. His lungs are so badly bruised that he’s still on a ventilator,” Yolanda Santiago, his mother, told CNN affiliate WCBS. Mieses’ wife, Dayana, told CNN affiliate WBZ that he got off his bike to help the SUV driver. She blamed Lien. “He got scared; he peeled off, and he paralyzed my husband on the way,” she said.
New York police: Bikers stomped on SUV driver
on 57th Street after workers spent hours lowering it inch by inch. The crane had been frozen with its load in midair since about 7 a.m., when a generator stopped working, said Mike Lucas, a construction field supervisor. The street’s closure created gridlock in an especially bustling part of Manhattan and raised fears that the weight could spiral out of control amid a forecast of strong storms that hit the city shortly after the weight reached the ground. The street reopened to traffic and pedestrians afterward. Play Video Nagging Rain Persists This Week Dozens Rescued from Extreme Flooding Meteor Shower TONIGHT! How WARM Was Your Weekend? NY Rush Hour Threatened The Wedding Must Go On! 400-Pound WHAT Washed Ashore? Crane Dangles from Sandy Malfunction Building LADEE Made It! How We Could Survive on the Red Planet Storm Watch Could Lightning Charge Your Phone? New Feature: Wind Tunnel Record-Snow Sign of Nasty Winter?
New York City Opera Files for Bankruptcy
30 that the opera would be liquidated or possibly sold in court to another cultural or educational institution. Canceled Season In an e-mail statement on Oct. 1, George Steel , the artistic director and general manager since 2009, said the company canceled its 2013-12014 season. Anna Nicole finished its run on Sept. 28. New York City Opera co-produced Anna Nicole with the Brooklyn Academy of Music . New York City Opera did not achieve the goal of its emergency appeal, he wrote. New York City Operas projected deficit for fiscal year 2012 was $44.1 million, although it had a balanced operating budget in recent years, according to the filing. The operas long-term structural deficit problems started in 2003, and it blamed its financial condition on a troubled economy, decreased donations, and increasing pension obligations, according to the filing. Closing down would mark the end of a company established as the peoples opera by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia that became a training ground for young talent that included Beverly Sills and Placido Domingo. It would also leave New York with one remaining major company, the 128-year-old Metropolitan Opera. Donated Elsewhere Cultural institutions and their donors suffered in the financial crisis that started in 2007, and as the economy recovered their donations went elsewhere, said Ted Gavin, a partner at the turnaround and restructuring company Gavin/Solmonese LLC in Wilmington, Delaware . The patrons of the arts in New York City voted with their dollars and gave their money to other organizations, Gavin said in a phone interview before the bankruptcy was filed. Do we have too many operas? Probably. Christopher Koelsch, the chief executive officer of LA Opera in Los Angeles , said New York City Operas closing doesnt mean the biggest U.S.